If we want children to flourish, to become truly empowered, let us allow them to love the earth before we ask them to save it.– David Sobel, environmental educator and academic
As the earth becomes warmer each year, NASA has projected that the global average temperature will increase by 2.5 to 10 degrees. Climate change campaigners have repeatedly raised their concerns on the increasing carbon emissions that brought to the spotlight the need to protect our Mother Earth. Human beings are already dealing with overpopulation, acute shortage of natural resources, pollution, loss of biodiversity, greenhouse effect and even ozone layer depletion. The solution to tackling all these global issues is simple – raising eco-conscious children.
A climate-conscious lifestyle
Living by example could be the best way to teach your children. For example, noted environmentalist Ellen Sabina poses pertinent questions for children like ‘What does the earth need from you?’ in her books. She is highly focused on helping kids understand how they can make a difference. In ‘The Greening Book: Being a Friend to Planet Earth’, she hopes to inspire children to make eco-conscious choices. Her goal is to deepen a child’s friendship with the earth and develop a lifetime of habits that protect and nurture the world around them.
Parents and teachers need to imbibe vis-a-vis a child’s education – love, respect and care for the environment. Transforming one’s lifestyle choices and encouraging children to contribute are the best ways to raise an eco-conscious child.
Below listed are a few ideas to bring up environmentally aware children:
- Spending time with nature: Take your children to picturesque places and make them feel close to heart. One protects what one loves – children should have the opportunity to love their surroundings. Only then they can be aware of environmentally-friendly practices.
- Planting trees: Be it a camp or your garden, ensure that your children are involved in planting trees. Children should be encouraged to engage with the environment and translate emotions into actions.
- Conserving water, electricity and food: Teaching children to protect natural resources and conserve them begins with telling them to turn off taps when not in use. Adults can educate children about food wastage and other crisis, including wasteful electricity and water consumption.
- Waste workshop: We produce waste daily, which makes recycling the order of the day. Teaching your kids about the various grades of scrap and giving them the duty of segregating the waste in the household can help them have a great understanding of waste disposal. Using less plastic and other non-biodegradable waste is also a great idea to promote eco-consciousness. Besides, the children can be involved in DIY projects that include recycling waste into utility products. This encourages them to reuse every possible item before discarding them.
- Walks over cars: Encouraging children to walk or cycle could help them understand the excessive use of fossil fuels and the resulting increase in pollution. The parents and teachers should elucidate the importance of public transport, carpooling and other fuel-saving techniques.
- Community activities: Involving children in community activities that revolve around conserving the environment inculcates a general feeling of being in unison with nature.
- Reading books and watching movies: Curate a reading and movie list for your kids to enjoy during their recreation. Films and books have a great way to influence children’s thinking, and there is no better way to raise young, eco-conscious humans!
With these activities, children slowly start making environmentally-friendly choices and consequently become responsible citizens.
We care for the world
The adept and highly experienced faculty and management at Ruby Park Public School (RPPS), Kolkata, always encourage the complete holistic development of students. The young minds are allowed to forge their positive impressions. At the same time, the institution nurtures them with an academic curriculum comprehensive with modern pedagogical tools to imbibe in them the importance of celebrating our culture and values.
We highlight the role that the environment plays in our sustenance and co-existence. We aim to support children in their journey to understand the importance of eco-consciousness that influences their quality of life and existence on this planet. We encourage families and caregivers to help children understand different practices and participate in creating a world that is considerate and empathetic to the environment.
Apart from classroom learning, RPPS encourages the students to engage in environmental protection and conservation activities. Children are habitually influenced to participate in composting, recycling, or simply driving ecological awareness in their way. Along with enthusiasm and fun for these activities, qualities like sensitivity, togetherness and respect for the environment are also taught to all the students.
For more information, visit www.rubypark.com.